Friday, June 20, 2014

i'll be wearing sweaters and you'll be wearing sandals



maybe you won't be able to sleep your first night away from the phantom pulse of my lips on yours. maybe you'll double-take at a dark-haired girl you see. or a second. or a third, and it will hurt in your chest because you know it's not me. maybe you'll reach for my hand in the earliest dawn before your body understands the time difference, the tide difference (and how it pulled you away from me.) maybe you won't be able to try the best sushi on the island because you'll taste me in every drop of the soy sauce and grain of rice on your plate. maybe you'll text me when you land or send me a postcard from your dorm, or call me all of the days you're gone or maybe none of them. maybe you'll cry about our first week away and maybe i will, too.
but maybe, 

maybe i'll stay inside, lamenting my own tears and how only some are shed for you (and how they're mostly for missed opportunities and somewhat for fear.)

maybe i'll be fine by friday.  

6 comments:

  1. You. YOU. My heart is sobbing. You got me. You always do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "how only some are shed for you (and how they're mostly for missed opportunities and somewhat for fear.)"

    One of my favorites of yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool new background and setup and stuff. What-of course I'm stalking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no way... This is too much. I love this. Holy cow. I mean, I LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the time difference, the tide difference"

    Okay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that this is old...and we're not in high school anymore...or creative writing...and I'm not obligated to comment on any of your stuff anymore... (not that I ever felt like I was). But I decided to stalk your blog and this literally made me cry. LITERALLY. Ugh. I love everything you write girl. No joke.

    ReplyDelete